FLOATING THE PONGOLA
This section of the Pongola River starts from just below the Pongolapoort or Jozini dam Wall and flows through the Makhatini Flats, this is truly an African River as you float down between overhanging Sycamore Fig trees lining the banks, with Vervet monkeys in the branches hunting for ripe fruit, while fish eagles sit perched on their vantage points scanning the water.
Here you will encounter the notorious tiger fish within its depths. It continues on its way into the Ndumu Nature Reserve and then joins up with the Maputo River and flows into the harbor at Maputo in Mozambique. One of its surprise catches are the estuary living River Bream that sometimes come up for quite some distance into the Pongola river, these guys are really feisty fighters for their size when they do nab a fly that is close enough.
PEAK SEASON: SEPTEMBER – MARCH
GUIDED FISHING R6415.00 PER PERSON (MIN 2 ANGLERS)
- Transport from prearranged meeting place in Jozini, to the departure point on river and return to the collection point after float. A high clearance vehicle is required to follow us in your personal vehicle
- 2 and 1/2 days guided fishing on the Pongola River.
- Float Craft
- Accommodation, Meals (Breakfast and Supper) Tea & Coffee.
- Snacks, Lunch Pack, Refreshments (Soft-drinks and Water)
- Fishing licenses and concession fees
- Flies and Terminal Tackle (Leaders and Tippet)
- Artificial Lures, In-line Spinners and Terminal Tackle
- Flights to and from OR Tambo International Airport
- Visa Fees (If required, we can assist in obtaining the visa)
- Airport Taxes
- Transportation from arrival destination to meeting place in Jozini
- Alcoholic beverages
Please inquire if you would like to add any of the following activities to your visit with us so that we can confirm availability and current rates prior to your arrival
- Tembe Elephant Park (Game Drive)
- Kosi Bay Snorkeling and Fish Kraals (UNESCO World Heritage Site)
- Birding from Long Boat
- Freshwater Snorkeling (Depends on Rain Season)